October 4, 1914
Dedication of the 110-bed St. Joseph’s Sanitarium on Ingalls Street is celebrated.
October 5, 1981
The Ambulatory Surgery Facility opens where patients can undergo minor surgical procedures and return home the same day.
October 6, 1918
The collapse of a temporary floor injures 46 soldiers housed at the University of Michigan Waterman Gymnasium and sends 28 to St. Joe’s for treatment.
October 7, 1953.
Ground is broken for the largest and final addition to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital on Ingalls Street.
October 7, 1976
St. Joe’s Goes to the Movies, the hospital’s first benefit fundraiser, is held. Since that time, the annual St. Joe’s Holiday Ball has signaled the beginning of the holiday season in the community and provided millions of dollars in support for hospital projects.
October 9, 1984
Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for Alpha House, a 16-bed residential chemical dependency facility for adolescents on Jackson Road in Ann Arbor. The program closes in 1994. In 2001, Saint Joseph Mercy Health System offers Alpha House to the Interfaith Hospitality Network for use as a shelter for families experiencing homelessness.